The Haynes Neurosurgical Group was established in 1954 by the late Dr. Walter Haynes, the first neurosurgeon in the state of Alabama. Following the end of WWII, he came to the state courtesy of the U.S. Army. He was one of only 100 fully trained neurosurgeons prior to WWII, and was the first to establish a neurosurgical practice in the state of Alabama. While serving in the U.S. Army during WWII, Dr. Walter Haynes experienced action and provided neurosurgical as well as other medical services in North Africa, Sicily, France, and the Battle of the Bulge.
In 1945, Dr. Haynes first came to the military hospital in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and remained a prominent neurosurgeon in the state until his retirement in 1998. Upon Dr. Haynes' retirement from more than 50 years of neurosurgical care, Dr. R. Cem Cezayirli took over the practice.